Wednesday 4 July 2018

Seat

I decided to make up a proper seat and not just sit in the sling seat as per design. The reasons were to assist in moving my center of gravity backward. The sling seat, apart from being uncomfortable and having no structure, also has no appeal. It took some time to get it to a shape I was happy with. Comfortable as well as low. It is more reclined moving my CG back countering the slightly bigger engine, and the fact that we have introduced a tubular engine mount.
The Beginnings of the Seat Plug

Bonding in the side supports.
 The Side supports are structural stiffners, holding the shape of the seat bottom and spanning between the front and rear spars. they will also conceal the rudder and elevator cables.


The Plug out of the Fuselage looking ... well Plug ugly!
Perhaps not pretty, but actually quite comfortable.

The Headrest and shoulders need some attention

I had to add tons of micro to get symmetry and a shape I was more happy with.

Fixed. With slots for the seatbelts
 I added sloping shoulders, and slots for the seat belts. Also cutout for the joystick.
Primed and in

Checking fit in the fuselage before painting and mould making

Painted and ready to make a mould
 I didn't get rid of every lump and bump, as the final product will be getting some plush upholstery

Chop strand and Polyester mould.

Alex testing to see if he could make use of my plane


 I made up the Removable Backrest and headrest insert first so I could get a perfect fit into the seat
I vacuumed the layup onto the mould as I used a 4mm oneycombe core


The completed backrest and Headrest insert on the mould.

The headrest insert on a 5mm spacer.
 The 5mm spacer under the headrest is to compensate for thickness of the leather upholstery.

The seat layup being vacuumed.

The Layup of the seat was done in 2 stages. First the UD glass and Glass cloth with patches of Nomex HC. The Backrest and Headrest insert can be seen.


Out of the Mould.

One layer of 280gm glass cloth on the underside.

The front of the set. You can see the position of the UD Glass
 The UD Glass can be seen in the seat base and up the sides of the seat. The headrest also has a reinforced rim. Behind the headrest and hidden by the rim there will be a 4130 steel roll over tube.
















No comments:

Post a Comment